Wednesday, April 30, 2008

WEEK 9 Reflections

The more I play with the possibilities, even the most trivial stuff like putting the text on the right, the more I can see opportunities for learning.

Today I was in a conversation about how to get the students to see things in new ways.

I pointed out that first we need to get them to see things.

I admire my students

the ones

who

keep plugging

away until the very end

no matter how well or poorly they are doing


Too often I encounter quitters who are trying to mitigate their own short comings

by claiming that the prize doesn't matter

doing well isn't as big a deal

as just doing something

anything



google

maggie and milly and molly and may

by e. e. cummings



and don't forget to become a better person by going to www.freerice.com


6 comments:

Mrs. Morris said...

I tell my algebra students,
there is more than one way to do this.
They hate that,
they want one rule.
One step after another,
mindless.
Just do it.
A,
B,
C,
done.

I give them freedom,
they whine.
I give them boundaries,
they fight back.
I give them choices,
they take the easy way.
I give them roses,
they notice the thorns.

They want to be with me.
They want to be in my world.
What am I doing right?
I wonder,
what am I doing wrong?

How do I grow them?
How do I open their eyes?
How do I lead them?

How do I get them to see
in new ways?
Ah, that is the question of the day.

Everything matters!
EVerything matters!
EVErything matters!
EVERything matters!
EVERY THING matters!

Rise up and think
Rise up and contribute
Rise Up, Rise Up

SK said...

Love them enough to give them what they need, not what they want.

Love them enough to discipline them and teach them--to work hard, do their best all the time, be honorable in all things.

icarusxat said...

keep those cards and letters coming, folks

icarusxat said...

Lisa Ward
Pamela Eder
Donald Cain
Sarah Mitchell
Rose Ann Morris
Musabbir Chowdhury
Derek Atchison
Elizabeth Henley
Rachel Tustin
Lisa Ward
Debora Palmer
Susan Kobes


This is list of people I have found to still be active in this course. All of them were invited to be part of my blog. If your name is on this and you didn't return my invitation, or (gasp) I didn't manage to get you invited, let's rectify this asap.

If you are looking for an easy to find list of projects to look at, here it is.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, you are probably not involved directly in this course and you will have to figure it out on your own.
ttfn

racheltustin said...

I think teaching should force you to
recognize
what
truly is
important is
learning which is often achieved by screwing up a million times.

Anonymous said...

I just read that in 2010-2012 there is going to be such a huge shortage of teachers. The Baby Boomers are retiring, and new teachers are only staying in the field for 3-5 years. Low pay, student disrespect, and large class sizes are cited as some of the reasons. Gee, don't you wonder where they got their information??